Anyway, as long as this blog exists (I can't even keep one blog updated!), I figured I ought to make a contribution. In English. We expect the baby (it's a boy!!) to be bilingual, so the blog should be bilingual too, right?
So Happy Papa 5's been writing about the pregnancy from his perspective...
One of the topics was the Papa/Mama Class (that's what it was really called!!). It was really fun to see him get involved in the class. At first he was his usual shy self (I know it's hard to believe for those who've met him, but he really is shy...), but as soon as the class started, he couldn't contain his excitement. When the instructor's asked if there were any dads who came to the class just so they could try on the maternity suit, his hand was the first (and surprise, surprise, the only) to shoot up.

Here's what he looked like in the suit. It occurred to us after the class that he's lost about as much weight as that suit in the last 18 months!
Of course, the class was enjoyable/informative for me, too (and not just because I got to see Happy Papa 5 in a new environment). I especially enjoyed giving the realistic baby doll (I didn't expect 3 kgs to feel so heavy!!) a bath. But I was surprised at how difficult it was (or how out of breath it made me).

For me, not having been around very many babies in my life, this was a very worthwhile experience.
Speaking of not having much experience with babies...it looks like a strange (but not unexpected?) change has occurred within me. Until now, I've always been reluctant to hold other people's babies, mostly because I just didn't know what to "do" with them, and I was afraid to make them cry (thereby exposing my non-maternal nature). Of course, there was the simple fear of breaking the baby somehow.
But a couple of weeks ago, I visited two moms and their babies. One was a 1 year old and the other was a 3 month old. When the 1 year old came crawling over to me and decided to get friendly, I didn't feel any of the hesitation that I felt with the same baby just a few months before. Later when I thought about it, I figured it was because the baby was older (and seemingly less breakable). That same day I visited my other friend with her 3 month old. I admit I was at first nervous when she handed me her baby so she could start brewing some tea, but as soon I held the baby I felt calm and didn't feel uncomfortable at all.
I can't explain it, but I feel like something inside me has changed a little (a lot) in terms of how I feel about babies. This is good news because like many first time moms, I wasn't sure if I had what it takes to be a mother. I still don't know if I do, but at least I feel like I've taken a step in the right direction. There undoubtedly will be many things that'll make me feel unsure of myself and caring for a baby 24/7 won't be anything like visiting a friend's baby, but I think I'll be ok.
Having a husband that I believe will be a great dad helps.
No comments:
Post a Comment