Friday, January 18, 2008

A Visit with Friends




It wasn't exactly the first time Evan's seen other babies (we've visited a neighbor friend and her one-year old, and we've also attended a baby massage class), but it was the first time he spent a significant amount of time with baby friends, and was actually aware of their presence.

I don't know how it was for Evan, but it was definitely good for me to get out of the house and hang out with a friend. I was able to get a lot of venting done (the issue lately has been my irrational feelings of rivalry toward my in-laws), and learned that "it's not just me."

The younger baby is just a month older than Evan, so I'm hoping that they'll become friends.

Speaking of other babies, I seem to be developing an obsession with comparing Evan's growth to that of friends' babies. Because many friends are documenting their lives with babies in blog form, I've spent a lot of time perusing their archives, checking which milestones their babies had reached at Evan's age.

It's not that I have a sense of rivalry...I'm just worried that Evan's not developing at a normal rate. Maybe it's because Evan was born a little small, or because I've had trouble breastfeeding, but little things make me worry a lot. Things like the fact that Evan's growing rather slowly, that he doesn't yet have head control, or that he isn't the least bit interested in his hands. He doesn't stop crying, even momentarily, when he's spoken to. He doesn't try to grasp or bat at objects, and still has trouble raising his head and chest when lying on his stomach.

I know that babies are individuals, but there just seems to be a lot of things that Evan doesn't do yet. Still, I'm trying to focus on the things Evan can do, like brighten our day with his smile...

2 comments:

Mama Laura said...

Leah was "behind," too, like on rolling and walking, but look at her go now! It's not about the age, it's about whether there is progress developmentally. (And remember, Evan was a tad bit early, so he's not even technically 3 months old until January 31!

I'm making a New Year's resolution (a little late) to keep up with your blog!!

Love,
Laura

champuruu ちゃんぷるー said...

Hi there! I never know if I should respond to comments here, expecting commenters to come back to look, or if I should email. Anyway, thanks for your support. I think I just get worried because sometimes I wonder if I'm starving him and that's what's causing the delay. It doesn't help that I read some article about cases where mothers unwittingly caused brain damage in their babies when they continued to breastfeed without realizing that their babies weren't getting enough breastmilk. Maybe it was anti-breastfeeding propaganda ;)
If his chubby cheeks are any indication, he's eating just fine!