It's been a while since my last post...as it might be guessed, I've been too busy to write.
Since early January, Evan has decided that the only person he wants to be held by is me. No grandma or grandpa, or even Dad. If anyone else holds him, he just cries and cries until I rescue him. A few seconds in my arms, and he calms down. At first I was amused and maybe even a little pleased at this new development, but now I'm just tired. We've tried to let Evan cry it out so that he gets used to being held by Ko-chan again, but what that results in is endless crying that escalates into a hoarse, aching scream that neither Ko-chan nor I can bear to hear. The longest we tried this "method" was forty minutes, and looking back I don't know how we survived emotionally.
By the way, although I can usually calm him after a crying fit he starts in someone else's arms, there are plenty of times I can't calm him when it's just the two of us. I mentioned before that Evan pretty much cries whenever he's not sleeping or eating, and that hasn't changed much, but now he doesn't sleep during the day. So that mean's more crying. I tried really hard to respond to Evan's cries at first, but when his crying takes up much of the day, I don't have the will or the energy to respond right away.
Through spending endless hours trying to figure out what's going on, I've come up with two possibilities. One, he's hungry (back to my breastfeeding worries), and two, he's tired. Because his growth really slowed down his second month and because weighing him before and after a feeding showed he wasn't drinking very much breastmilk, the first conclusion is/was a very real possibility. So I decided to bottlefeed him exclusively. Result? He rejects the bottle. So now I have a baby that's ineffective at the breast and no longer interested in the bottle. The pediatrician suggested that I increase the time between feedings (the good ol' "He'll take the bottle if he's hungry enough" school of thought) and I did, only to have Evan still reject the bottle anyway (he'll maybe drink an ounce). Frequently, I succeed in getting him to drink if he's half asleep (but remember, he doesn't nap during the day). Basically, he's getting what seems like just half the milk that he needs per day, if even that much. Now nearing four months, I doubt that I can correct his latch-on or get him to improve his sucking, so I feel like the only hope is to get him to bottlefeed (yes, I've tried various nipples/bottles). But it sure is hard. Right now it takes an hour or an hour an a half to feed him at night because I first feed him (slowly), burp him, put him back to sleep, and then pump. Multiply that by three because he still gets up three times a night, and you've got a really exhausted mommy.
That's one of the reasons that I've been making a concerted effort to get Evan to nap during the day. Of course it's because he needs the sleep, but it's for me, too. And, unlike the feeding problem, I've been having some success in this front. It takes my lying down with him to get Evan to nap, but that's a small "sacrifice." Every once in a while I can even get up midnap without stirring him.
I hope this is just a phase, and that we'll soon have more of the happy baby that we've only seen glimpses of.
Writing this post cut into my sleep time, but I feel a little better now.
An update...Evan's mood was worse than ever today. Ko-chan thought that maybe he's upset at having reduced access to the breast, so I'm going to try going back to breastfeeding (and then supplementing with pumped milk when he's sleepy).
You know, I expected caring for a baby to be a challenge, but I never thought that something as basic as feeding would be so difficult...
5 comments:
Wow. it sounds like Evan is hard work. Try to enjoy it though-he won`t be a wee baby for very long! Have you read `Baby Bliss` by Dr Harvey Karp? I highly recommend it!
Hi Becca,
Thanks for your comment. I read a different book by him, but I'll see about reading Baby Bliss. It's so hard to enjoy this period...you know that one bad day that you had that you wrote about, I think around when Kai-chan was around 4 months? It's kind of like that everyday. I'm starting to really hate myself because I can't make the baby happy, I can't even feed him, and I'm starting to dread him waking up...I never imagined it would be this hard...
Do you think your lack of confidence in your milk-producing ability and your stress levels-it sounds like you`re very stressed!-are affecting Evan? Have you tried consulting a `La leche league` consultant? Don`t hate yourself! You have to believe in yourself and trust that you really can meet his needs. Does he not calm if carried? could you wear him on your front? and feed him that way? or in a sling? I hope you can find a way through this..
You are right in thinking that this is a phase, because it definitely is. The troubles you are having now will end as Evan is constantly changing. You will be surprised how fast he grows and changes. When Mei was about 2-3 months it seemed like Kyoko was the only person who could hold her for any length of time without her getting fussy. I felt bad that I couldn't hold her more and make more of a connection with her at that time, but as the weeks went by she began to enjoy being held by many people. It is a very important connection that she makes with you. You are the most special person in the world to him. He loves you. Keep breastfeeding, that is a huge part of the connection you two have. From the start Mei was not a not a good drinker at all, but Kyoko would not give up and so Mei had many chances to improve. There were times she worried a lot, but with time, those worries past onto other things. We wish you the best during the hard times, there are Many great times to come!
Hi again, Becca! Yeah, I'm sure Evan's feeling my stress; poor little guy. A friend warned me while I was pregnant to be careful about stress 'cause it'll create a stressed out baby, and it looks like I've done just that. Depending on the time of day, Evan can be consoled sometimes, usually if I hold him upright against my shoulder (and before a breast would do the trick but not so much anymore). Putting him in the Baby Bjorn also helps sometimes. I still haven't mastered the sling. Now that his head control is getting better, I might try it again. I think the hardest thing is even if I manage to console him, it's temporary, and I get more and more stressed as the day progresses. I haven't contacted the LLL, mostly because I now think the problem is a poor latch, and for the life of me I can't fix it and have pretty much given up. I can't find anything in my research about correcting a latch when the baby's already 4 months...The midwife here doesn't seem concerned about the latch on, but I'm fairly certain Evan's ability to get milk has decreased with his poor latch. I suppose it's still worth asking the LLL folks.
Nikku, I'm relieved to know that you and Kyoko went through a similar situation with Mei. If there's anything worse than dealing with a crying baby, it's being the only person who can console him...I hope this stage ends soon! As for the breastfeeding, I didn't know Mei had trouble drinking at first! I'm feeling hopeful, seeing how healthy and round she is!!
Post a Comment