Tuesday, December 18, 2007

The baby looks so much like...


A common topic of conversation among those gazing at a baby seems to be who the baby looks like. Or the variation, identifying which facial feature/body part resembles which parents' (or some distant relative's).

Of course, we haven't been immune from this tendency, as evidenced by my earlier post about Evan's eyebrows and nose.

So far, it's an agreed upon "fact" by most people who have seen him in person that overall, Evan looks like me, his mother. I wish I had my own baby pictures to show, because then they'd see just HOW MUCH he looks like me.

But looking at him part by part, things get a little more murky...but here's our assessment so far.
  • Eyebrows...the certain-to-be bushy eyebrows, while they could be inherited from either of us, is starting to look more like Ko-chan's shape-wise.
  • Nose...since Ko-chan and I both have a kind-of-large nose, it's hard to tell whose Evan's resembles, but looking at it from the side, the shape seems to be more like mine.
  • Eyes...Split decision. Ko-chan and I both have brown eyes (although Ko-chan's are a little lighter), and the baby does, too. The eyelids are one-fold, like his dad's, but the shape seems to be more like mine.
  • The jury is still out on the lips, ears, cheeks, and overall face shape. I think we'll have to wait for those features to become more defined. After all, Evan's still just 8 weeks old!
  • Fingers/nails...Ko-chan's got beautiful hands, and Evan seems to have inherited them.
Going back to the overall resemblance discussion, there are times when I feel as if I'm looking at my clone, but there are other times when I think I see someone else in Evan's face, like my Okinawan uncle, and my dad.

Funny, I don't ever really see Ko-chan in Evan's face. Ko-chan doesn't seem to mind (after all, he doesn't look ANYTHING like his own father), but he did seem a little disappointed when he found out that Evan's blood type is O like mine, and not B like his. I think he just wanted SOMETHING to be from him.

None of this really matters, of course. All we want is for Evan to be happy and healthy. But it sure is fun.

Oh, one last note about his features. Evan seems to be developing a widow's peak (independent of the once receding, and now returning, hairline). Now, no one in Ko-chan's family has one, but I do (sort of). My mom doesn't have one, and no one in her family does, as far as I know. But I do know of one person who does have a widow's peak (if my childhood memory is serving me correctly)--my dad! I recall going swimming with him when I was a kid, and when he came up for a breath, I thought he looked like dracula because of his widow's peak. I don't know if that sort of thing is hereditary, but if it is, I thought it was kind of cute that Evan's got a feature he inherited from his Grandpa Kerrigan...

Especially since Grandpa Kerrigan was complaining that we've "wiped the Irish out of" Evan. Ok, so the widow's peak is not an "Irish" feature, but at least we can say he's got some of his Irish granddad in him!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A Widow's Peak IS a recessive genetically-determined trait!