Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Mystery of the Disappearing Eyebrows

When Ko-chan and I used to imagine what our baby would look like, we were certain of one thing...no matter who the baby looked like, he would have very prominent eyebrows and nose. After all, both his mom and dad do.

So when Evan was born, we had to chuckle because as we expected, his eyebrows and nose were very defined ('though his eyebrows were of a lighter color). So much so that even strangers would comment on them. Here's a picture of Evan just after birth...


His eyebrows almost looked as if they'd been penciled in, Japanese style. As days passed the made-up look faded and just the actual eyebrow hair remained, but the eyebrows remained fairly defined.


Then one day, starting with the area near the bridge of his nose, the eyebrow hair began to disappear. At first I thought I was imagining things, but soon enough I knew I wasn't, because the entire eyebrows were gone.


I had heard and read about a newborn's hair (on his head) falling out, but eyebrows? I looked everywhere on the net, with no answers to be found. Because their disappearance coincided with the onset of baby acne (which led to the eyebrow area to be rather red and crusty), I hoped that once the acne subsided, the eyebrows would return.

Well, the acne lessened a bit (but his face is still red, dry, and flaky), and lo and behold, the eyebrows have come back!


This may seem to be a trivial matter, but to us parents who have a weird sense of pride in our bushy brows, this was a major development.

No comments: