Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Coos and Aahs

On the advice of a few friends, today I visited the closest thing to a lactation consultant in this area. She massaged my breasts for nearly 40 minutes, and assured me that I was producing enough milk. She recommended I stop supplementing, so Evan got breast milk all day.

And, as usual (on days when I try to breastfeed 100%), Evan got grumpier and grumpier, until finally at dinnertime I gave up and gave him a bottle. At least it was pumped breast milk.

It's too early to give up, although the thought has crossed my mind more than once in the last few hours!

But in an effort to stay positive, I'm going to watch this video ↓ over and over to remind myself of how cute Evan is when he's not grumpy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

aaah! He`s gorgeous! Glad you had time to see the Katsura lady..stick with it! It`ll get easier! Does Evan have nipple confusion do you think? ...just wondering...ganbare! ganbare!

champuruu ちゃんぷるー said...

Thanks!

Yeah, I'm really glad I went to see her. My supply hasn't increased, but I still feel a little better.

I think nipple confusion is a definite possibility. Although he's done a fairly good job switching back and forth (well, he's not very good with either, come to think of it), I've noticed lately that there are times when he does a better job sucking than others. Sometimes I can really hear him swallowing, while other times I get the sense he's just going through the motions (that'd be OK except for the fact that he does this sometimes when I KNOW he's hungry). I think drinking from the bottle may have made him a little lazy. I hope I can retrain him somehow!