One of the reasons I was in a hurry to finish making the kids' jinbeis was the fast approaching summer festival season. We missed the local preschool's summer festival because of rain (well, it was actually held indoors, but we incorrectly thought it would be postponed), so we decided to attend one at a nearby kindergarten where we intend to enroll Evan once he turns three.
Evan was very excited upon arrival...
Elise, not so much...
I've been to summer festivals at three different preschool/kindergartens, and one of the things they all have in common are booths for kids to "shop" for snacks and prizes. I don't know if that's just coincidence. Here Evan is choosing some snacks. He also "bought" some shaved ice and cotton candy at other booths.
He also got to play a few games, like choosing/pulling on a string to see what prize it leads to. Evan won himself a flashing star wand which he broke in half by the time we left the festival.
I'm not quite sure what he's doing here...
Or here...
But one thing that was clear was that Evan really enjoyed being around like-minded creatures, even though he was mostly ignored by the slightly older kids.
He also enjoyed, not surprisingly, his many trips to the taiko drum set up at the center of the school yard. We didn't stay long enough for the obon dancing to start, though.
But before we left Evan found other forms of entertainment,
like climbing up the obstacle course.
like climbing up the obstacle course.
And reaching for the lanterns.

Both kids were wiped out at the end of the evening, but after a good night's sleep (and a long afternoon nap the next day) we took our first trip to the river this summer. I'll leave the details to Dad, but I wanted to share this picture...

After coming home, having dinner, and taking our showers, we had one more thing to do...

While Elise lay sleeping...
No comments:
Post a Comment