Tuesday, July 20, 2010

So are you having trouble keeping up with our blog posts?

Because lately we've been updating a lot! Unfortunately, it probably won't last long. Happy.papa will do his best, I'm sure, but whether I post or not seems really dependent on my emotional well being and/or how busy I feel (as opposed to how busy I actually am)...

Anyway, I wanted to post of few pictures I took recently. The first two is of the kids.

As you may have noticed, Elise smiles at practically any moving thing. But nothing lights up her face like her brother's antics. So, we encourage Evan to believe that Elise smiles because she just LOOOOVES her older brother. It's probably true anyway!




Next is Evan. He's been interested in cooking for the last few weeks (not play cooking, but actual cooking), so I finally got around to making him a simple apron. I finished last night and showed it to him this morning, and his first response was, "I want to cook." So we made pancakes for breakfast.



It was one of my dreams (when I wasn't being negative about marriage/family life) to cook as a family, particularly with a son. I hope this is the beginning of that. Truth be told, I've been hating cooking for over a year now (ever since Evan turned into a picky eater), so I hope that Evan's interest will inject some much needed joy into cooking.

5 comments:

Grandmaです said...

あの小さい二人の表情なんと素敵なんでしょう!!!心和む最高の贈り物ですよーーー。Evanのエプロンもとってもかわいいですヨーーー。バーニーさん私よりお裁縫上手だわネ。Cooking 頑張ってください、自分で作ったものは何でも食べるようになりますからEvanは。チャンプルーさん素晴らしいお母さんになりましたねーーー。おめでとう!!!

champuruu ちゃんぷるー said...

Thanks, Mom! It means a lot to me for you to say that!

Anonymous said...

Way to go Chef Evan! I think that's great - like when I sent the pots & pans, Grandpa K. was appalled, since those are girls toys. Nash has a play kitchen that he loves, & he also helps his dad who is a very good cook. Elise will love to nibble on brothers tasty treats when she gets a bit bigger. Good job on the apron too! You're becoming a very domesticated lady Bonnie. Miss you all. Grandma K.

champuruu ちゃんぷるー said...

Those pots and pans started it all! Thanks! Yeah, it's definitely one of my parenting experiments to try some gender reversing on the kids. Actually, no, it's not so much a reversal I'm going after...I want both kids to be able to take care of themselves (cooking, cleaning, simple sewing, laundry, hopefully growing some veggies, etc.), and to be well-rounded. Of course they'll have different interests, but I want that to come from inside them, and not from what grown-ups tell them are girl/boy things to do. This is a challenge, especially in Japan. I've been going back and forth about a getting a play kitchen for over a year now...It takes up so much space (space we don't have), and since Evan seems fine with imagining a play kitchen, sometimes I think that's enough. Well, I guess I'll keep thinking about it!

champuruu ちゃんぷるー said...

Oh, Grandma K, I had to laugh at your comment about my being domesticated. I actually used to love sewing as a child, but as I grew older I began rejecting things I thought were "girly." I'm going back to it now because 1) I have a sewing machine I haven't been using, 2) I want to model the kind of person I want the kids to become, 3) I'm going to have sew a lot once the kids start preschool, and 4) I have an interest in reusing old clothing...We'll see how long it lasts!