Thursday, July 8, 2010

Tanabata

July 7th is Tanabata, often referred to in English as the "Star Festival." For the uninitiated, the story (this is the super abbreviated version, sorry) goes that once there were two lovers who, after marrying, started neglecting their respective jobs. As punishment they were forced apart across the Milky Way, and were allowed to meet only once a year.

Anyway, modern folks celebrate the festival by writing wishes on colorful strips of paper and hanging them on bamboo branches, along with other decorations. Most homes put up small branches, but in some shopping centers the sprigs are huge.

We had our own little one. I tried to get Evan to help with the decorations, but his interest didn't last very long, so I wound up doing most of it myself. Maybe next year.


First we have Elise...She does have chunky legs, but not as huge as this camera angle makes them seem.



Then Evan joins in. Their matching outfits (called "jinbei") were made by none other than me! It will probably be a long while before I take on another sewing project...



While Elise took her morning nap Evan and I snapped a few more pictures outside. And yes, those are winter boots Evan's got on. At some point during the morning, he started to say, "Hmm...it's getting kind of cold. I'd better change my shoes," (in Japanese, of course) and then went inside, pulled out the boots, and put them on. I have no clue what prompted him.


I generally have trouble getting Evan to smile for the camera. His dad is more successful, but that's because he catches him in the act of laughing, usually by running around with Evan while holding the camera at Evan's eye level. That technique would be a little difficult for me as I tend to use the BIG camera. I don't remember what I said to him here, but it's the closest thing to a smile I got today.



Brother and sister hanging out at Great Grandfather's house

2 comments:

rumi.k said...

すごいよ!!お姉ちゃん!!ふたりが甚平を着てる写真を見てるみはこころがおどったね☆ふたりともよーく似合っててかわいいね!!クローバーと茶色いいね・・・

champuruu ちゃんぷるー said...

ありがと〜!初めてだったし、もともとミシンや裁縫に慣れてないから時間かかったけど、多分甚平は作るの簡単(^_^;)るみちゃんならすぐできると思うよ!